THE TOUR OF SOMERVILLE GRAN FONDO, MAY 26, 2019
For the first time, the Tour of Somerville will offer a non-competitive recreational Gran Fondo ride on Sunday, May 26th as part of the Tour of Somerville Memorial Day weekend events. Recognized as the “Main Street” of Somerset County, home to more than 50 restaurants and the County Seat, Somerville will host the start/finish. The Fondo, offered in conjunction with the Somerset County Park Commission, will be a relaxed ride on beautiful paved country roads through the scenic southern section of the County. Tour of Somerville’s Fondo rides will provide additional revenue to support cycling education and safety programs in local schools, as well as other local school activities.
WHAT’S A GRAN FONDO?
A long distance, mass-participation cycling event immensely popular in Europe and a fast-growing phenomenon in the United States, “Gran Fondo,” Italian for “big ride,” is a recreational ride, not a race. Open to cyclists of all abilities and with two ride options, the inaugural Somerville Fondo rides will be shorter than the traditional 100-mile Gran Fondo but will still challenge cyclists.
TWO RIDE OPTIONS (route maps to come)
- Tour of Somerville Gran Fondo – 42 miles on rolling paved country roads; no major climbs.
- “Pop” Kugler Ride – 18 miles on paved flat roads suitable for the novice/casual cyclist.
PERKS & BENEFITS
- Get Ready – Load up on pre-ride snacks & beverages prior to the ride.
- Course Safety – Well marked & monitored by local law enforcement to ensure a safe ride.
- Somerville After Party – The best comes after the ride…stay tuned!
- Swag – A great commemorative t-shirt to remember the ride.
- Rest Stops –Approximately 10 miles apart, all inSomerset County parks with full service bathrooms and additional porta-toilets. Nutritious snacks, fruit, and drinks provided.
- Mechanical Support – Provided by the professional SRAM team.
- SAG Support – Can’t finish? Jump on our shuttle to take you back to start/finish.
- All Riders must depart at 8:00 am from Main Street, Somerville to insure proper road support by local authorities. Riders must obey all traffic rules unless instructed to the contrary by local authorities. NO RACING WILL BE PERMITTED and the front group of riders will be closely monitored to control speed.
- Riders participating in the 41-mile ride must meet minimum time checks to complete the fully serviced ride with technical support and rest stops.
- Rest Stop 1 – Colonial Park – 9:30 am
- Rest Stop 2 – Skillman Park – 11:15 am
- Rest Stop 3 – Mountain View Park – 12:15 pm
- Rest Stop 4 – Duke Island Park – 1:30 pm
- Finish – Somerville – 2:00 pm – All riders finish & course support ends.
REGISTRATION FEE & PACKET PICK UP **
On-line Registration (January1 to 5 pm, May 24)
- January 1 through February 28 – $55 per person (Youth* 13-18 – $40)
- March 1 through April 30 – $65 per person (Youth* 13-18 – $45)
- May 1 through 5 PM, May 24 – $75 per person (Youth* 13-18 – $50)
In person & day-of registration (May 25 & 26):
- $85 per person (Youth* 13-17 – $55)
- May 25 – Bound Brook Criterium – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- May 26 – Cobalt Apartments 70 Veterans Memorial Drive East, Somerville– 6:00 am to 7:30 am
Packet Pick-up – TBD
- All riders must sign a waiver to participate in the Tour of Somerville Gran Fondo. Minors (13-17) must have written permission of their parent or guardian to participate and must ride with an assigned parent, guardian, or adult
*Youth Riders – The Tour’s liability insurance prohibits riders 12 years of age or younger.
**Registration is limited to the first 300 riders. Ride will take place rain or shine. Organizers have the authority to change or shorten the course in case of inclement weather. Refunds available at the discretion of the organizer based on pre-event injury, illness or family emergency.
Parking is available at public parking garages in Somerville. The start/finish line is a short bike ride or easy walk at the corner of Davenport & Main Street in Somerville.